Powered by Blogger.

Who needs pictures?

As I was looking at some of my photography from when I first started taking pictures, to now, I started to think, why do we take pictures?

I have always had an interest in pictures since I was a little girl. I still love looking back through the pages of old photo albums that my mom has made.

I know that it is hard for me to print off my pictures, they usually just end up on my computer or external hard drive. There are VERY few of my pictures that I have printed off.

But other people have pictures taken of thier kids, of them with thier significant other, with thier families and they hang them up for everyone to see.

Pictures have really been a big deal for me and my family in the last year because my Grandma Hellberg, my mom's mom is 80 and we found out that she has dementia. Dementia is a loss of brain function that occurs with certain diseases. It affects memory, thinking, language, judgment, and behavior.  Alzheimer's disease is the most common type of dementia. Having pictures around help keep things in my grandma's memory. We also don't know how long she is going to be with us, so having pictures of her helps us.

We have pictures to look back at that single moment when the photographer presses the shutter button and captures a second that we will be able to remember for the rest of our lives through a photograph.

That's what I love about taking pictures for other people. I see certain moments that would be perfect to remember several years later.  Now that I see that not only can I capture the moments as they take place, but I can tell even more about the story through my focus, my angle, my viewpoint, my depth of field, and my processing.

I have found that taking pictures of people is my calling. I also love to take pictures of everything that is around me, but I adore peeking into someone's life with my camera and lens and telling their stories.

I love taking photos, but more than that I love capturing memories.
 
Copyright © 2013 Leslie Ann Photography | Design by Cinnamon Girl Studio